Tuesday 29 April 2014

OUGD501: STUDIO BRIEF 2 - Theory Into Practice // Mapping out ideas

I've begun to address this brief the traditional way, mapping out some initial ideas, which I will then go onto research in depth. I'm really not sure which direction I want to go in for this product. I know the underline themes which I want to undertake, that of consumerism, marketing something completely pointless by tapping into the hidden instinctual desires of the human, all that Sigmund Freud stuff. 


I began to flesh out the ideas of marketing the hidden needs, and methods of doing so. Throughout my essay for studio brief 1, I pulled the focus of the study to the male image, or the envy of, to promote and sell a product. Such as a watch or even a fragrance. The model is usually appealing to women, which men are able to recognise, something they want to achieve themselves, as part of the hidden instinctual desire for sex. Thinking back to a documentary I saw recently, 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster', which follows Chris Bell, who talks about steroids in sport. A segment in the documentary exposes a fitness model, who promoted a product he used, and attributed his physique to the product. Whereas, he has actually been taking anabolic steroids and growth hormones, the real reason for his unique physique. 

Thinking this, I thought I could market a product using a body builder who attributes his success to a product, which no one needs. 


I then drew 


No comments:

Post a Comment