Before I left the room, I left some questions, questions which I would've liked to be answered, which will help me progress in the right direction.
- Do you want to stay on the website when you use it?
- Is the minimalist theme appropriate?
- Does the timeline communicate the order of bond actors correctly?
The first sheet of feedback I received said the following;
- Considering the visuals of James Bond films the site is a little tame by comparison - homepage visuals are effective but need to command more of the page.
- Can keep minimalist to stay with classy theme but need to bulk it up a bit.
- Timeline is effectively communicative - may require more info (could roll over to present info box)
I felt these comments were fair, although I feel the homepage is fair adequate, I could always try to increase the resolution. Although the current resolution has been informed by my research, and fits a more minimalist style - it's definitely something to consider, though. It might be too late in the game to change this, so I could propose it. I could also add some more content to the homepage, although I don't really want to overwhelm it, I feel the essentials is all it needs. I thought about doing something similar to the timeline page, but I couldn't quite figure it out, I'm definitely going to try and code it over Christmas, but if i can't I'll propose it.
Second Sheet of feedback:
- Logo at the top - though it was 510 Bond, at first
- Any more content?
- Refreshing central content could link to (or be more relevant to) other pages
These comments were rather short, vague but I got the idea. I'm going to edit the logo, as a number of sheets said the same thing, it's a quick job, so it's no problem doing it. Any more content? This website is work in progress, so yes, there will be. This comment was rather vague. And the central content does link to the other pages.
The third sheet
- Good that it's responsive - looks more professional
- Could be a little more eye-catching (first page)
- Maybe colour accent taken from the images
- Rollovers may need to be slightly more obvious that they are actually buttons
- Timeline is great - like the use of something different - circles/zig-zags. This is more eye-catching than the first page. Could be used to make people stay on the website
- I would work on the timeline layout (as in use it as a running theme throughout)
I agree the first page could be a-little more eye-catching, this seems to be an reoccurring theme across the feedback sheets, so I'm tempted to add more appealing content. The colour accent is a good idea, although taking colours from all the images would take aways from the minimalist style. I could try making a static image and taking a colour accent from that, a static image which would appear on all of the pages, perhaps. I disagree with the rollovers needing to be more obvious, firstly because they're not made from images, they're made from 'a href' texts, in using classes from the different states, so they're not actually buttons, they're text links, also, I think having more vibrant and obvious links take alway from the subtle minimalist theme with the website, although I could adjust the colours slightly to make it marginally more obvious. I'm wanting to use the timeline circle/zig-zag style across more pages, as it seems to have gone down well.
The fourth sheet of feedback
- The website is nicely designed. It uses a very clear and structured layout which makes it very easy to use
- The minimalist approach looks sophisticated but could be modified to resemble the action packed themes of the Bond films? Possibly more colour?
- The scrolling images work well, although they could be slightly more relevant to the content/pages used on your website - this would give users a better understanding of what your website intends to explain to the users.
- The timeline looks great - it is a creative and clear way of showing each Bond actor - it might be useful to include a brief intro something on the page, to summarise what you're showing.
- On the homepage, maybe place the '51' closer together so it is more readable - at first it looks more like 5 and 1 are separate.
The slider images actually link to pages in the website, although at this point they are redundant, they will be used soon, once I have more content on the pages. As I have said I am planning to sort the 51 out on the logo, it is too far apart, this feedback sheet isn't the first to tell me this. I don't think I need to make the website more action packed, when you're thinking of Bond, half of the character is the action packed spy, but the other half is the sophisticated 'gentlemen', which is what i wish to capture in the website.