Wednesday 7 November 2012

OUGD403: Studio Brief 3 - Alphabet Soup - Illustrator

For this brief we were asked to pick one of the ten letter forms which communicated out chosen word, mine being layer, and from this, I've decided to base my typeface on the K letterform, which I completed in my Alphabet Soup project. 



I then began to sketch out some letters in my layout pad, so I could get an idea of what the letter forms would look like, and the difficulty it would be to create them.

To trace the images on my layout pad, to create the negative-look font with two layered letterforms I traced the outline of one of the letterforms, moved the image slightly up and two the left, and repeated. Following this I went to shade certain sections of the overlapped letter forms, to create the above.


I then went on the do something similar in Adobe Illustrator CS6. I created two letter, layered them and only made the strokes of the image visible, and I used this as a starting point to trace my letter forms. Locking the layer, and creating a new one overlaying it, I began to fill in various parts of the letter, using the pen tool, to gain the desired effect.


-Twenty-six letters later-


The Finished Typeface, which has been printed.


No comments:

Post a Comment