Saturday 17 November 2012

OUGD403: Studio Brief 3 - Message and Delivery (Post Crit)

Following the group crit, I've begun to make alterations to my mail shot, below is an extract from my post-crit analysis on my PPP Blog, which you can see here.
"Firstly, most importantly, is adjusting the variables to fit the brief, the sizing of the mail shots is wrong, it should be 220x110mm, mine is not. The original document in Illustrator is the correct size, however, due to the printer size adjustments and the crop marks being squeezed on the page, the mail shot as reduced by around 1-2cm, which I didn't notice. I'm pleased this was pointed out in the crit, otherwise I would have not met the criteria asked. Another error which was pointed out is the colour balance, in the illustrator file, I use two different shades of blue, and their half tones.  However, due to a printing error, again, some of the colours appear purple or grey, not looking like a half tone of one of the original blues, so, I must make this more clear in the improved mail shots. Another adjustment which needs to be made involves the sonar wheel, which can be found inside the leaflet, although I think this is a nice concept, It is hard to achieve, and it didn't work effectively. It was flimsy and it made some of the text hard to read, I also had difficultly obtaining appropriate split pins, so the ones I ended up with had a glittery texture, which do not fit the theme of the mail shot, so I'm going to remove it and only use the text under the sonar wheel.
Another dilema, I'm not longer able to access the digital print room, which means I'm limited to A3 paper only, so, I'm going to have to alter the fold of the page, so it fits on A3, rather than having a vertical crease, so it folds out horizontally which would exceed the page size, I'm going to have to have an horizontal crease, so the page folds vertically."
So, i've begun by sketching some new layouts for the altered design of my mail shot, in which I've accounted for limitation in size for the print.


I've decided that the bottom design would work better, as the top one looks rather basic, and it layed out in a rather odd manner.

The first alteration I've made is the composition of the mail shot, you can now see that it folds vertically now rather than horizontally, so this means it will fit on A3 to print. I've also decided to remove the sonar wheel, which spun on a flimsy split pin, as it distracted and confused whoever read it. It also added a bump in-between the two sheets of paper which were stuck together, so it felt bizarre to hold. It also tore in one of the mail shots. So, the text which was inside the wheel is now displayed in three columns on the bottom half of the page, for those who would like to read on.

I'm keeping the main heading a subheadings on  the inside of the mail shot, as from the crit we've established these worked rather well, so I'm going to use them within this design, and I've decided to place them on the top half of the mail shot.































No comments:

Post a Comment