Wednesday 27 November 2013

OUGD504: STUDIO BRIEF 3 - Design for Print & Web // ISTD Brief Analysis

We begun highlighting particular words from the briefs which spoke to us. Words which were the reason we chose the briefs, reasons why we selected them.  

When going through a brief, you have to avoid certain words, a few examples of ‘good-bad-words’ are
  • Connects
  • Metaphorical Journey
  • Broadcast
  • Fascinating
  • Phoney
  • Interesting
Following this, we were asked to narrow down the briefs to just one, I chose the brief ‘Imbalance’, as I felt it had a lot to it, compared to my other briefs, I thought that I would have a lot of content to work with. It thought it was quite defined, making it easier for myself. - Then, I asked myself the following questions below, regarding the Imbalance brief. 

5 Problems you want to solve & why?
  • To communicate the imbalance through type
  • The brief is extremely broad, I need to refine it so I can progress to delivering an outcome
  • The brief says imbalance is bad, but it also says that I can interpret it as good - I need to solve this so I can create an outcome
  • It says current affairs, when Imbalance throughout society has been happening for centuries, I need to find out if it’s worth talking about it through history
  • It doesn’t specify the audience, I need it so I know who to design for
  • Doesn’t specify the delivery method, so I don’t know what do design
5 Facts about the Subject & Content
  • There’s an imbalance in the ay we live
  • Imbalance can relate to injustice 
  • The brief is pushing for equality rather than inequality
  • It’s quite boring and obvious
5 Facts About the intended Audience
  • There is no defined audience
  • People who are interested in current affairs across the media
  • Audience open for interpretation 
  • Political Fanatics
  • Late teens and up, typically average intelligence
  • Charitable activists interested in equality
5 Things which you want to communicate
  • There’s imbalance in various areas of life
  • What these imbalances are
  • Why there are important
  • Who is affected
  • Propose how it could be rectified 
5 things you didn’t know about this brief
  • I don’t know the statistics involved in this subject
  • I don’t know the specific audience
  • I don’t know the method of delivery
  • I don’t know how to appeal to the audience
  • I don’t know which media would be appropriate
  • I don’t know what would be deemed feasible by publishers/broadcasters
  • I don’t know if the brief wants me to communicate things positively or negatively.
However - I don’t think I particularly want to work from this brief following this task. It’s quite empty and uninteresting, not as much content or refinement as I originally thought there would be. It’s open for interoperation, but I’m not sure that’s what I want to work from. I’d prefer a brief with some specifics, some refinement, some pre made decisions to build from rather than it being ultra-broad. After looking through the briefs from ISTD, once again, I’ve decided to work from the brief ‘Mutton Quad’. 



5 Problems you want to solve & why?
  • Create a concept or interior and exterior branding for the typographic themed restaurant ‘Mutton Quad’, as it says so in the brief
  • How deep does the branding need to go? Does it need a few logos dotted on items, or do we need the branding elegantly engraved into the silverware? 
  • What is the target audience of the restaurant? Who does it cater to? What style of food/serving is it?
  • What’s the budget of the project? How much money is there to spend, how extravagant can I make the designs?
  • How could it be promoted?
5 Facts about the Subject & Content
  • Branding for a restaurant
  • It has to be typographic themed
  • We can travel the world of eating 24 hours a day
  • The type of restaurant offers the appropriate environment , food, and drinks that will make the occasion successful.  
5 Facts About the intended Audience
  • There’s no specific defined audience
  • People who’re interested in type
  • People who’re interested in food
  • 16+, as those younger can’t really afford to eat out, of course, there are exceptions
  • Unisex
 5 Things which you want to communicate
  • I want to communicate the typo graphicness of the restaurant
  • I want to communicate the quality of food in the restaurant
  • I want to communicate that’s it’s actually a restaurant, and not a type-class
  • I want to communicate the price range
  • I want to communicate the type of food sold
5 things you didn’t know about this brief
  • I don’t know who the target audience is
  • I don’t know what kind of food this restaurant serves
  • I don’t know the budget
  • I don’t know how last the scale of the restaurant is
  •  I don’t know the quality of the foods


No comments:

Post a Comment