Tuesday 11 March 2014

OUGD505: STUDIO BRIEF 1 - Product, Range & Distribution // Aston Martin Logo Vectorisation

As part of the project, I'm wanting to de-boss the logo onto leather. By doing this, I will be replicating the high quality feel, which is associated with Aston Martin products. I will need to create a copper plate to do so. For the copper plate, I need to create a vector version of the logo. 


I traced the logo on Adobe Illustrator, using a red stroke to trace the lines of the logo, with the pen tool. It was fairly easy to trace, and the logo looks identical to the existing logo, only in vector form, so I'm able to resize it appropriately, without losing any quality. 


However, the strokes will always remain the same size if I am to resize them. In this case, the stroke are 5pt. If I were to increase the logo 100 times the size, the strokes would still be 5pt, it would look very weird. So, to avoid this, I need to transform the strokes into shapes, I used the flatten transparency tool to do this, which flattens the strokes into shapes. 


I then began to search for Aston Martins' font, which they use in their logo. So, until I'm able to get my hands on it, I'm using some squiggles as a place holder. 



The font used by Aston Martin in their logos and in their branding is Optima. Optima is a humanist sans-serif typeface designed by Hermann Zapf between 1952 and 1955 for the D. Stempel AG foundry,  Frankfurt, Germany. 

Upon downloading the font, I applied it into the logo. 


To get the correct vertical spacing, I used a system which could be applied to my brand guidelines. I duplicated the logo and used the 'type box' as an indicator for the vertical spacing. This means, the logo can be replicated at any size, easily, without the use of complex grids. This will help when creating the brand guidelines towards the end of the brief. 

The final logo, I'm going to work towards creating an icon version for the brand guidelines, and the colour which is appropriate. Of course, this is not the final colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment