Monday 5 May 2014

OUGD505: STUDIO BRIEF 2 - An Exhibition Of // Developing the logo

Planning the Logo

For the hypothetical event I'm proposing for this brief, I've begun to work on creating a logo. I've decided, after research, not to use Aston Martin's official logo, as it doesn't really fit with the dynamic of the event. The event is aimed at Aston Martin fanatics, rather than Aston Martin owners/potential customers. So, a new, perhaps more modern logo will be created. 


I sketched out some ideas of what I could have as a logo. I really thought the logos with the cars in them worked better than the logos with the tracks in, unless you're familiar with race tracks, the logo just looks like a weird shape. The cars are after all what the event is all about, so it seems fitting that they become the core of the logo. 

Developing the Logo


Following my research, I was able to see how the fibonacci system was implemented into various logo designs, developing a golden ratio within the elements of the design. 


For each section of the golden ratio, I created a circle, I've seen numerous designers use this technique within their work, so I decided to apply this method to my own. I will use these circles to construct the logo. 


The above is the application to the grid, I added guides around the edge of the image I want to re-create, using the fibonacci system. I also added diagonal guides across the centre of the image, as I thought this would benefit me. I assured the largest circle fitted the car from end to end, enlarging all the smaller subsequent circles along side this, so they were all in proportion. 


Using the points of contact between the largest circle and the guides, I began to construct the car using the circles or various sizes. I implemented the circles using the grid and the existing circles, so the circles weren't placed solely based on the image below, to assure a more aesthetically pleasing appearance. 


As I progressed, I had to colour code the circles, so I was able to identify which parts of the golden ratio have been used for each bit. Just to avoid confusion. 


The near final grid system applied over the image. As you'll see later on, I had to add a couple more circles to the design, to incorporate more features into the design. The grid system overlaps the car well, and it does hold the mail features of the car's shape, which will make it recognisable upon completion. Which was the overall goal. 


You can see the gird system without the car in the background. it looks quite complete and interesting. Interesting as I've not used the fibonacci system before.


I went around the edges of the shapes with the pen tool, to obtain the basic outline of the car. Doing this using the Fibonacci ratio assures the basic dimensions of the shapes all work together, rather than just outlining the car without the grid. 

This method is more time consuming, but it also allows the basic shape of an Aston Martin, rather than a particular model. 


I then traced out the negative, using the circles, I've traced out the negative as it represents the front and rear windows of the car, as well as the roof, as it's often a carb finish, which contrasts with the body work of the car. Doing so would also leave me space for the type. 


The final car without the gird system. I added in the headlights on the front of the car, just to add some small detail, to assure the audience that it is in fact a car. I added two more of the purple circles to create this. 


Following a discussing with Adam, going through that I had already created, we thought it would benefit the design to add the wing mirrors to the car, the small bit of detail really pulls the whole design together, and there is no doubt that it is in fact a car. 


I used the circles once again to plot out the spacing for the type. Using the centre point of the shapes and the initial grid system to plan the spacing. I then used my selected font, Nevis Bold, to plot out the type. The type would distort if I were to stretch it to fit, so I used a underline to fill the space. Doing this helps create equal spacing throughout the logo. 


Final Aston Martin Legacy logo. 





No comments:

Post a Comment