Tuesday 4 February 2014

OUGD505: STUDIO BREIF 1 - Product, Range & Distribution // Research Boards Feedback

Following the research boards, I presented them and spoke about Aston Martin, speaking about the range of research I'd done, extending what was on the research boards, with knowledge I've gained, as you'll see on my Design Context blog. I spoke to a small group of 7, running through my research process, from the cars, the history, the centenary, the concepts and the artwork - a flow of work, explaining how I got from one to the other. I received the following feedback:

Pros

  • Good range of images and text, balanced ratio, the text isn't overwhelming, and there aren't too many images, they all serve a purpose, in delivering information.
  • The research board's order reflects the direction I headed in, you can clearly see how I transitioned from one topic to the other.
  • Interest is certainly showed, it comes across in the attention to detail and reflection in the presentation.
  • Consistent grid structure throughout, clear that design awareness is evident in the boards.
Cons
  • Consider different fonts for my copy and headings, using different weights to establish order in the boards
  • Don't speak in first person! Clients won't care, stop doing it!
Overall, I can't really complain about how they turned out, usually, I try to use different weights on my fonts, however on this I didn't, I'll try and use them next time. I will an extra effort not to speak in first person, in future.

Boards Workshop

We then crit the research boards, passed them around and labeled what was bad, and what was good. What could be fixed, we ended up being extremely petty, but the best things are perfect, so we need to be petty to get the best result.


"Your name is missing on the boards, I think your boards would benefit from having the title on each board stand cut a bit more as I was searching for it. Good images and a clear system".  It's fair feedback, I do need to include my name on my board, although I wasn't aware it was mandatory. Including a larger title might also work too, however, by increasing the weight of other fonts, I can establish order. 


"Minuscule spacing" I don't understand this comment, the type and images fit in the gird, it's the same throughout, I suppose due to the white space, it's probably subjective. "I would write it is, more professional and as Aston martin very high end, I think language should reflect" Another fair comment, I'll attempt to adapt my writing style and my vocabulary to suit the audience. 


Grammar errors, fairly standard, I'll be sure to get someone else to proof read my work in future. 


I measured out these two gutters from the closest points, they both measure to 5mm. They're all created using the same grid system. It must once again be subjective. 


I spoke in first person a lot throughout the boards, it's something I must rectify. Speaking in a different person, such as third person, would be more affective, as the client doesn't care. 


A black line down the side of some of my images, it's petty, but it doesn't look good. By cropping the images, I can get rid of this, it's an easy fix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment